Air Fried Crab Cakes
10 – 12 Crab Cakes
Prep Time: 20 minutes + 45 minutes freezing time
Cook Time: 10 mins per batch
- 1 cup lump crabmeat, well drained and picked over
- 2 tablespoons chive cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (may substitute chives or green onions)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill pickles or pickle relish
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- fresh lemon wedges, for serving
- fresh cut cilantro, for serving
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups seasoned panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) or any Italian seasoned breadcrumbs of your choice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill gherkins
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 3 dashes hot sauce, more or less as needed
- 2 teaspoons capers
1. Zest and juice lemon. In a large bowl, combine crabmeat, cream cheese, cilantro, lemon zest + juice, and pickles. Stir well to combine.
2. Form the mixture into 10 to 12 crab cakes, pack firmly. Press to flatten out both top and bottom. Place the crab cakes on a piece of parchment and freeze until firm, about 45 minutes.
IMPORTANT! DO NOT FREEZE LONGER THAN 1 HOUR. Crab cakes should be firm, not frozen through.
3. Set up 3-bowl breading station:
• flour + garlic salt
• whisk eggs
• seasoned panko breadcrumbs
4. Place each crab cake into the flour. Pat gently with your hands to remove any excess.
5. Dip into eggs.
6. Coat both sides with panko.
7. Spray cakes top and bottom with vegetable oil to promote browning.
8. Add 4 to 6 crab cakes to air frying basket.
IMPORTANT: Allow air circulation on all sides of each crab cake for best browning and to assure crispness.
9. Manually set the Air Fryer: Temperature: 400°F / Time: 10 minutes.
10. Flip crab cakes in 5 minutes. Check at 10 minutes; crab cakes should be a crispy, golden brown.
11. Repeat with remaining fish.
12. Prepare Tartar Sauce: Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate.
NOTE: Store leftover Tartar Sauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.