Loaded Whole Wheat Pasta Florentine
Cook Time: 30 mins
Serves 4 to 8
- 3 Italian sausages (or any sandwich-sized sausage of your choice)
- 2 cups frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1 (28 oz.) can stewed tomatoes, Italian style
- 1-1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 (13.25 oz.) box whole grain rotini pasta (or any pasta of your choice)
- 16 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 – 1 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds, optional
- 16 oz. cubed or shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Remove sausage casings and discard.
2. Turn the temperature control dial to 375°F to preheat. Add sausage, cook 5 minutes, uncovered, breaking apart with a potato masher or wooden fork. Remove cooked sausage, drain oil except for 2 tablespoons and set aside.
3. Increase Electric Skillet heat to 400°F. Add mushrooms and minced jalapeno.
4. Saute uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms become browned.
5. Add cooked sausage, beef stock, tomatoes, artichokes, and pasta to skillet; stir to combine.
6. Cover with lid and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to 350°F and cook 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
8. Toss in baby spinach and pumpkin seeds. Mix well.
9. Top with mozzarella, add lid and continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes until cheese is melted.
10. Serve with Parmesan garlic bread.