Spelt Chocolate and Hazelnut Scones
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 20 Mins
Total Time: 35 Mins
Makes: 8 scones
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (approx.)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Set CRUX 6-Slice Toaster Oven with Convection temperature to 400ºF. Turn function control to CONVECTION BAKE and preheat.
2. In large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, spelt flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; add chocolate and hazelnuts.
3. Whisk together buttermilk, egg and vanilla; using fork, stir into flour mixture to make ragged dough.
4. Transfer to lightly floured surface; pat into 1-inch thick round. Cut into 8 wedges and place on parchment paper–lined bake/broil pan, about 2 inches apart. Brush tops with a little buttermilk. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
- Substitute hazelnuts for almonds, walnuts or pistachios if desired.
- Serve with butter and fruit preserves or, for a more decadent breakfast, serve with cream and berries. Or try hazelnut butter, pears and honey.