1. Cut pork shoulder into 2 or 3 pieces Combine rub ingredients and smear over pork surfaces.
2. Cover and refrigerate rubbed pork for at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours.
3. Add oil to a large fry pan. Heat on medium-high until oil is shimmering; add pork and sear 3 to 4 minutes on all sides, until browned.
4. Deglaze by adding orange juice to the skillet. Using a flat spatula, work all brown bits into the juice. Add to the Slow Cooker.
5. Cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or until tender.
6. When pork has cooled, use 2 forks to shred. Strain cooking liquid; pour off fat.
7. Divide the pork in half. Add cooking liquid to half of the pulled pork. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
8. Crisp Pulled Pork: Before serving, heat broiler. Toss (the dry) half of the pork with your favorite BBQ sauce — just enough so pork is evenly coated but not wet or runny. Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet, and broil, turning until crisped.
Use CRUX Air Fryer to crisp pork ends! Place oiled pulled pork into 1 layer in the Air Fryer drawer. Air fry 400ºF for 8 minutes or until crunchy. Shake and turn at 4 minutes.
9. Combine all ingredients for the mayo in a small bowl.
10. Smear Sriracha Mayo over each toasted roll. Add pulled pork (not crisped). Moisten with a couple spoonfuls BBQ sauce. Add crispy “burnt ends” and top with Jicama Orange Slaw. (Recipe Follows)
1. Peel and grate the jicama
2. Zest 1 of the oranges
3. Peel both of the oranges, segment and cut each segment in 4
4. Cut peppers into strips
5. Add all ingredients to a large bowl including any accumulated orange juice
6. Mix well and chill
7. Garnish with cilantro