- PREP TIME: 35 Minutes
- COOK TIME: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils / split peas or mung beans
- ½ cup white basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons ghee or good olive oil
- 2 cloves or 1/4 tspn ground
- 2 bay leaves fresh if possible
- 5 cups water or more
- 1 teaspoon cracked white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 to 5 cups chopped seasonal vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli , carrots, spinach)
Rinse the lentils and rice thoroughly under cold running water till water runs clear
Measure out all spices and cut all vegetables before starting to prevent any accidental burning of spices.
Set the Crux multicooker to sauté, add in the ghee along with the spices, cook for several moments till fragrant but not burnt. Add in the rinsed lentils and rice followed by the chopped vegetables; cover with 5 cups of water and set to pressure cook for 30 minutes
The kitchari will have a porridge-like consistency and the ghee will have risen to the top. Add more water if necessary.
Adjust the seasoning with a little more salt if needed, add in the chopped coriander and stir through.
You can store remaining kitchari once cooled, refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 5 days.